Position open until April 1, 2017
We are looking for a highly competent, outgoing, detail-oriented and driven person to join our staff as Administrative Assistant. The position is a long term, part time salaried position with potential to grow for the right person, invested in the sustainability of Farm Discovery. This position will provide vital support to the Farm Discovery Executive Director, Education Coordinator and Program Staff by assisting with coordination of fundraising efforts, and events.
- Use computer word processing, spreadsheet, and database software to prepare reports, memos, and documents
- Prepare and send outgoing faxes, mail, and courier parcels
- Code and file material according to the established procedures
- Update and ensure the accuracy of the organization’s databases
- Back-up electronic files using proper procedures
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Executive Director and other staff
- Coordinate the maintenance of office equipment
Program Events & Fundraising Assistance
- Assist with communications for three Farm Discovery farm events per year – spring Sheep to Shawl Fair, fall Feast in the Fields benefit, and fall Harvest Festival – including phone calls, e-mail and letters for securing sponsorships, soliciting donations, volunteer recruitment, event coordination and vendor management.
- Support program outreach out to local and regional agricultural and business communities to help develop relationships to help sustain Farm Discovery programs.
- Support corporate volunteer partnerships, including recruitment, management and stewardship of volunteers.
- Assist with fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Farm Discovery team
- Support Farm Discovery Executive Director in maintaining relationships with donors.
- Assist in maintenance of Farm Discovery grant and donor database (Salesforce software).
- Manage schedule of limited grant submissions including check-ins with Farm Discovery Director on goals and objectives.
- Maintain annual fundraising plan with quarterly updates for Director and Board.
- Manage donor and supporter electronic and print communications using mail merge, e-communications programs and tracking communications in the Farm Discovery database.
- Reply to general information requests with the accurate information.
Assist with Financial Management
- Code and file financial material according to established records management procedures
- Work with staff to coordinate and ensure the integrity of the processing of donations.
- Assist with financial reports as required
- Month end duties as required
Provide Board Support
- With the Executive Director, prepare meeting agendas and supporting material for distribution
- Ensure the timely distribution of material to the Board
- Compile and draft minutes of Board meetings for review by the Executive Director
- Create action list for staff from board meetings
- AA degree or higher, and
- Post secondary education in business, computers, or office management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational, communication and collaboration skills.
- High level of attention to detail and time management.
- Dependable with thorough follow through.
- Event coordination experience, and demonstrated success.
- Passion for development and relationship building.
- Strong computer skills (Apple platform), including bookkeeping program QuickBooks Online; word processing, spread sheet and design programs such as MS Office Suite, and Google Apps and Pages; broadcast email/text programs such as Constant Contact, CRM software, Salesforce; website maintenance, WordPress;and social media platforms including instagram, facebook, twitter and support application like IFTTT and Buffer
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Bilingual Spanish speaker.
- Experience and understanding of Latina/o culture.
- Farming gardening and/or nutrition experience, skills, and/or passion.
- Familiarity with area agricultural business and philanthropic sectors.
- 1-3 years experience in an office setting
- Shared office environment in the Education Facility on our organic farm. Some of the work can be done remotely and on own schedule.
- This is a 20 hours per week, part time position with some seasonal fluctuation. Farm Discovery Office hours are 8-4 Monday through Friday. Must be available to work at least two mornings a week.
- Some overtime hours may be required for activities such as attending Board meetings or Events
The position will be filled by April 1, 2017. We are most interested in hiring someone willing to make a long term, multi-year commitment. The minimum contract for the position will last through December 2017.
We are a very small organization ready to grow with you. We believe in a living wage, we are very family friendly and we are working towards offering competitive salaries. Your work can help us get there. Salary commensurate with experience. Organic produce available.
Please send a cover letter, resume and relevant writing sample to Jessica Ridgeway at email@example.com