Administrative Assistant & Events Coordinator
Position open until July 1, 2019
Farm to Fork, Seed to Mouth, Child to Community Connections
We are looking for a highly competent, outgoing, detail-oriented and driven person to join our staff as Administrative Assistant. The position is a long term salaried position with potential to grow for the right person, invested in the sustainability of Farm Discovery. This position will provide vital support to the Farm Discovery Executive Director, Education Director and Program Staff by assisting with coordination of fundraising efforts, and events.
- Use computer word processing, spreadsheet, and database software to prepare reports, memos, and documents
- Prepare and send outgoing e-mail, mail, and parcels
- Code and file material according to the established procedures
- Update and ensure the accuracy of the organization’s databases
- Back-up electronic files using proper procedures
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Executive Director and other staff
- Coordinate the maintenance of office equipment
Programs, Events & Fundraising Assistance
- Assist with communications for three main and several smaller Farm Discovery farm events per year – spring Sheep to Shawl Fair, fall Feast in the Fields benefit, and fall Harvest Festival – including phone calls, e-mail and letters for securing sponsorships, soliciting donations, volunteer recruitment, event coordination and vendor management.
- Manage and develop new weekend event programs such as workshops, weddings, airbnb experiences and farm campouts.
- Support program outreach to local and regional agricultural and business communities to help develop relationships to help sustain Farm Discovery programs.
- Support corporate volunteer partnerships, including recruitment, management and stewardship of volunteers.
- Assist with fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Farm Discovery team
- Support Farm Discovery Executive Director in maintaining relationships with donors
- Assist in maintenance of Farm Discovery grant and donor database (Salesforce software).
- Manage schedule of limited grant submissions including check-ins with Farm Discovery Director on goals and objectives.
- Maintain annual fundraising plan with quarterly updates for Director and Board.
- Manage donor and supporter electronic and print communications using mail merge, e-communications programs and tracking communications in the Farm Discovery database.
- Reply to general information requests with the accurate information.
Assist with Financial Management
- Code and file financial material according to established records management procedures
- Work with staff to coordinate and ensure the integrity of the processing of donations.
- Assist with financial reports as required
- Month end duties as required
Provide Board Support
- With the Executive Director, prepare meeting agendas and supporting material for distribution
- Ensure the timely distribution of material to the Board
- Compile and draft minutes of Board meetings for review by the Executive Director
- Create action list for staff from board meetings
- AA degree or higher, and
- Post secondary education in business, computers, or office management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational, communication and collaboration skills.
- High level of attention to detail and time management.
- Dependable with thorough follow through.
- Event coordination experience, and demonstrated success.
- Passion for development and relationship building.
- Strong computer skills (Apple platform), including bookkeeping program QuickBooks Online; word processing, spread sheet and design programs such as MS Office Suite, and Google Apps and Pages; broadcast email/text programs such as Constant Contact, CRM software, Salesforce; website maintenance, WordPress;and social media platforms including instagram, facebook, twitter and support applications like IFTTT and Buffer
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Bilingual Spanish speaker.
- Experience and understanding of Latinx culture.
- Farming gardening and/or nutrition experience, skills, and/or passion.
- Familiarity with area agricultural business and philanthropic sectors.
- 1-3 years experience in an office setting
- Shared office environment in the Education Facility on our organic farm. Some of the work can be done remotely and on own schedule.
- This is a 40 hours per week, position with some seasonal fluctuation, and 2-3 weekend events a month year round and especially Spring, Summer and Fall. Farm Discovery office hours are 8-4 Monday through Friday. Must be available to work at least two mornings a week.
The position will be filled by July 1, 2019. We are most interested in hiring someone willing to make a long term, multi-year commitment. The minimum contract for the position will last through October 2020.
This is a 40+ hour per week, full time position with paid vacation, sick time, and holidays. Salary $30-35k, commensurate with experience. In addition, the farm will provide produce, fresh eggs, and goat milk as available.
Please fill in the following form: https://forms.gle/VcKM4E7pTcctkDpL8
the form will require the following two items to be uploaded within it:
- A cover letter that shares the unique skills you bring to the table and includes the date or range of timing you are interested/available to start
- A resume with at least two professional references
We will begin reviewing and accepting candidate material immediately.