Administrative Assistant & Events Coordinator
General Description of Administrative Assistant Position
The Farm Discovery Administrative Assistant will provide vital support to the Farm Discovery Executive Director. The position is a long term, part time salaried position with potential to grow for the right person, invested in the sustainability of Farm Discovery. This position will provide vital support to the Farm Discovery Executive Director, Education Coordinator and Program Staff by assisting with coordination of programs, data management, fundraising efforts, and events.
The person in this position will plan collaboratively with education staff and responsible for daily decision-making.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Use computer word processing, spreadsheet, and database software to prepare reports, memos, and documents
- Prepare and send outgoing faxes, mail, and courier parcels
- Code and file material according to the established procedures
- Update and ensure the accuracy of the organization’s databases
- Back-up electronic files using proper procedures
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Executive Director and other staff
- Coordinate the maintenance of office equipment
Program Events & Fundraising Assistance
- Assist with communications for three Farm Discovery farm events per year – spring Sheep to Shawl Fair, fall Feast in the Fields benefit, and fall Harvest Festival – including phone calls, e-mail and letters for securing sponsorships, soliciting donations, volunteer recruitment, event coordination and vendor management.
- Act as a friendly ambassador, welcoming the public & upholding the mission of Farm Discovery and Live Earth Farm
- Support program outreach to local and regional agricultural and business communities to help develop relationships to help sustain Farm Discovery programs.
- Support corporate volunteer partnerships, including recruitment, management and stewardship of volunteers.
- Assist with fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Farm Discovery team
- Support Farm Discovery Executive Director in maintaining relationships with donors.
- Assist in maintenance of Farm Discovery grant and donor database (Salesforce software).
- Manage schedule of limited grant submissions including check-ins with Farm Discovery Director on goals and objectives.
- Maintain annual fundraising plan with quarterly updates for Director and Board.
- Manage donor and supporter electronic and print communications using mail merge, e-communications programs and tracking communications in the Farm Discovery database.
- Reply to general information requests with the accurate information.
Assist with Financial Management
- Code and file financial material according to established records management procedures
- Work with staff to coordinate and ensure the integrity of the processing of donations.
- Assist with financial reports as required
- Month end duties as required
Provide Board Support
- With the Executive Director, prepare meeting agendas and supporting material for distribution
- Ensure the timely distribution of material to the Board
- Compile and draft minutes of Board meetings for review by the Executive Director
- Create action list for staff from board meetings
General Description of Events Coordinator Position
As the Event Coordinator, you’ll help to put on weekend events on the farm including but not limited to: birthday parties, farm tours, concerts, workshops and weddings. In addition, you will help Farm Discovery with their four annual program and fundraising events.
As a part of this position, you will also be responsible for getting the word out about weekend events via social media marketing, booking and scheduling events, and managing invoicing.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Do marketing and outreach to promote events at Farm Discovery
- Maintain the weekend schedule, attend all events.
- Communicate with the Farm Discovery team about all events and needs
- Communicate with clients to answer questions, coordinate payment, and follow up
- Coordinate birthday parties, wee ones, farm tours, weddings, community events, workshops, and any other events
- Understanding of Farm Discovery Policies, Staff Bios, Community Agreements, and Staff Schedule
- Ability to make decisions as a team and individually and carry out work efficiently and effectively
- Commitment to great customer service during educational programs and events
- Ability to work together as a team in all aspects of the nonprofit organization
- Desire to learn and ask questions; openness to different ideas/ways of doing things; think about what you’re learning, what you don’t know, observe & take notes of your observations; program debriefs
- Setting a good pace: think about how you’re working/how quickly and well you are accomplishing tasks; imagine this as your own nonprofit organization
- Full engagement with visiting groups, events, community days; being friendly and welcoming to all people visiting the farm
- Open and direct communication: participation in weekly check-ins; formal and informal opportunities to share appreciations and challenges
- Self care – balancing work with physical, mental, spiritual well being
- Ask questions when you don’t know something, are not sure about something…there is no silly question!
- Assume ownership of tasks
- Create a happy, functioning, working community
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen, offices, and surrounding area on the upper farm. Please feel free to decorate personal space without anything permanent. Refrain from decorating public areas unless cleared by staff.
- Observe work schedule and timeliness
- Bilingual Spanish speaker.
- Experience and understanding of Latinx culture.
- Farming gardening and/or nutrition experience, skills, and/or passion.
- Familiarity with area agricultural business and philanthropic sectors.
- 1-3 years experience in an office setting
- Shared office environment in the Education Facility on our organic farm. Some of the work can be done remotely and on own schedule.
- This is a 40 hours per week, position with some seasonal fluctuation, and 2-3 weekend events a month year round and especially Spring, Summer and Fall. Farm Discovery office hours are 8-4 Monday through Friday. Must be available to work at least two mornings a week.
The position will be filled by July 1, 2019. We are most interested in hiring someone willing to make a long term, multi-year commitment. The minimum contract for the position will last through October 2020.
This is a 40+ hour per week, full time position with paid vacation, sick time, and holidays. Salary $30-35k, commensurate with experience. In addition, the farm will provide produce, fresh eggs, and goat milk as available.
*Please fill in the following form: https://forms.gle/VcKM4E7pTcctkDpL8
the form will require the following two items to be uploaded within it:
- A cover letter that shares the unique skills you bring to the table and includes the date or range of timing you are interested/available to start
- A resume with at least two professional references
Or see the job post on indeed (we will still need the same form filled out): https://tinyurl.com/y2p5fsy9
We will begin reviewing and accepting candidate material immediately.