Farm and Education Apprentice
We are looking for a highly motivated, detail-oriented and energetic person for this position of Farm & Education Apprentice. The Apprentice will train with the Education Director and Associate to co-lead the food, farming and nature education programming, cultivate the Farm Discovery fields and garden, and care for the goats and chickens.
The person in this position will work collaboratively with the Farm Discovery team and the owner of Live Earth Farm.
This position requires a collaborative and flexible individual with a high level of organization and flexibility who loves working with children and youth while being motivated to work and learn farm production. Ideally, you also have kitchen/cooking experience or are eager to learn.
You will be an integral member of our team, and a youth educator. You are someone looking to build outstanding education, farming, cooking and relationship building skills, who can engage and inspire the youth we serve about multiple aspects of the food system from production to consumption to food justice. You are approachable, a great communicator, and passionate about our mission. You get the big picture, while being a strategic thinker who can dive in and get the daily work done with a strong attention to detail. You’re playful, comfortable being you, and willing to share your personal magic with Farm Discovery students while creating safe space on the farm and in the kitchen.
- Assist in farm based education programs: field trips and 3-day immersions (April-June and Sept.-Nov.), Summer Camp (June & July), Santa Cruz Montessori Wavecrest farm program (Sept.-May), and assist/lead irregular tours and volunteer days, help plan and run large community events and fundraising on and off the farm throughout the year
- Assist in seasonal and day-to-day organic farming operations with ongoing coordination with Live Earth Farm production operations including bed prep, planting, irrigation, propagation, harvesting
- Work with team to maintain farm and education facilities and tools
- Learn to make value added products like jam, sauce, pickles and more
- Live on the farm in private yurt, gaining skills in animal husbandry, feeding and watering goats and chickens daily, caring for physical health as needed. ($250/month pre tax deduction from wages)
- 40-hour per week, full time seasonal position with paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- 10-month contract
- Salary $22,800
- Passion for building community and deep relationships through food and agriculture
- Interest in informal education careers
- Interest in developing organic farming/gardening experience including crop planning, greenhouse, irrigation, cultivation, pest and disease control, harvest and post-harvest handling, CSA/market, and cover crop experience
- Interest in local, seasonal cooking and preservation
- Ability to work independently, in team setting, and in fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to handle multiple programs/projects at once; strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Physically fit to meet the demands of working on farm with youth, ability to dig beds by hand and lift 50lbs
- Rooted in Santa Cruz and or Monterey County
- Cultural identity and lived experience relevant to the youth we serve
- Bilingual Spanish speaker
- Experience working with children and youth
- Valid California Driver’s license and vehicle for personal travel
To Apply email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
See our Indeed posting here https://tinyurl.com/sdsuydt
Junior Staff members will assist in running Summer Farm Camp through camper supervision and activity facilitation. Junior Staff will lead groups of children in educational, farm-based, culinary and art activities. Junior Staff members will help maintain the educational garden and fields, kitchen classroom and other facilities. Fieldwork will include weeding, planting, harvesting, and other farming and gardening activities. Facility maintenance will include sweeping,washing dishes, wiping surfaces, organizing art supplies, and maintaining a clean and safe kitchen. Junior staff work with and lead other youth volunteers to provide a fun, safe, and educational environment for our day campers.
Junior Staff members will be able to lift 40 lbs, work outside most of the day, walk at least 5 miles in one day, be on their feet and active for most of the work day. Junior staff will be punctual, engaged and behave professionally including dress.
7-8weeks total including 6 weeks of summer camp sessions and one week prior to, or after camp sessions. Beginning no later than June 8,2020, through July 30, or August 7, 2020.Junior staff members will report to the Education Coordinator, the Field Manager,and the Executive Director.Compensation:$12 per hour, 40 hours per week
Organic seasonal produce, resumé builder and earn a stellar letter of recommendation.
To Apply email a resume and cover letter describing why you are interested in the position to email@example.com