Shaved Brassicas Salad with Dried Persimmon
with Sweet & Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, shaved
1 head of Purple Cabbage, shaved
2 dried Hachiya Persimmons, chopped
Heaping handful of pumpkin or sunflower seeds
Photo Credit: savorthebest.com
Shave kale, Brussels sprouts, and purple cabbage.
- Massage shaved kale.
- Chop and dry 2 Hachiya persimmons (this can be done with the pilot light of a gas oven if you do not have a dehydrator).
- Add pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
- Toss everything together with dressing.
Sweet & Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
1/4 cup white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 small shallot
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 eggs, optional for a creamier dressing
1/2 cup olive oil, grapeseed oil, or a mix
- Whisk the white wine vinegar and honey.
- Peel the shallot and grate it on a microplane or the smallest holes on a box grater directly into the bowl.
- Add the poppy seeds, salt, and ground mustard, and whisk to combine.
- Whip the eggs then steadily, pour the olive oil into the whipped eggs in a slow stream.
- Whisk the dressing steadily, pour the eggs and olive oil mixture into the dressing in a slow stream.
- Continue whisking until completely combined.
Transfer to a covered container and store in the fridge for several weeks. The dressing will separate as it sits; shake to recombine before using.