Assistant Director of Education
Position open until March 15, 2022
Farm Discovery at Live Earth
Farm to Fork, Seed to Mouth, Child to Community Connections
About Farm Discovery and Live Earth Farm:
Live Earth Farm, established in 1996, is a 150-acre diversified, organic, family farm overlooking the Pajaro Valley in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains in California. Live Earth runs a year-round CSA with over 800 members, growing over 50 different fruits and vegetables surrounded by a native landscape of redwoods and oak woodland. Produce is directly marketed through local farmer’s markets, restaurants, a thriving web store, and our weekly CSA program.
The education programs at Live Earth Farm began with the farm in 1996. Farm Discovery at Live Earth was formally established as a nonprofit organization in 2007 to compliment and expand the educational programs at Live Earth Farm. FD hosts more than 3500 children and families on the farm each year for farm based, hands-on learning opportunities through 9 different programs. Learn more about us at farmdiscovery.org
Farm Discovery has a consistent track record of solid financial standing, and we’re on a growth trajectory. We are now looking for a new person to join our team and take a leadership position to drive our farm and food programming forward into our next decade of work. You should be ready to hit the ground running, implementing our existing youth programming, hiring and training support staff, and developing programs to take Farm Discovery to the next level shortly after.
We are looking for a highly competent, outgoing, detail-oriented and driven person to join our staff as Assistant Director of Education. Education programs include, but are not limited to: seasonal field trips and Farm Immersions (April-June & Sept-Nov), a weekly immersive program (Sept-June), drop in programs (year round), Farm Camps, Summer Leader in Training and job programs (June-July), two large annual community events, a partnership with Food What?! (March-Oct) and internships, as well as Upicks, Family Camps, Field Work Days and Airbnb Experiences. This position will work with our Field Manager and Development Officer and report to the Executive Director in the planning, funding, implementation, evaluation and development of these core programs.
Program & Events Execution (55%)
- Manage the execution and staffing of all programs: field trips, Wavecrest, Farm Immersions, Farm Camps, Internships, Live-in Volunteers, Events and school partnerships.
- Recruit, train and manage program staff and volunteers.
- Further develop and implement Docent program including recruitment, training, and cultivating docent relationships.
- Manage Food What?!, Wavecrest and PV Community Health Trust partnerships.
- Design, revise, and review curriculum for current, pilot and future education programs.
- Direct Collaboration with Field Manager and Interns to develop garden and fields to support and enhance education programs, and develop value added product line.
- Manage and develop new weekend event programs such as workshops, corporate events, birthday parties, airbnb experiences and farm campouts.
- Do marketing and outreach to promote events at Farm Discovery.
- Maintain the weekend schedule, attend all events.
- Communicate with the Farm Discovery team about all events and needs
- Communicate with clients to answer questions, coordinate payment, and follow up.
- Oversee quick, effective and accurate communication with clients, visitors, partners, volunteers, vendors and students.
- Lead program outreach to local and regional agricultural and business communities to help develop relationships to help sustain Farm Discovery programs.
- Facilitate corporate volunteer partnerships, including recruitment, management and stewardship of volunteers.
- Manage maintenance of educational facilities.
- Supervise and perform periodic inventory of tools and supplies. Manage appropriate purchases and repairs.
- Design, manage and execute events with collaboration from entire staff.
Program Assessment, Evaluation and Data Management (15%)
- Develop and implement assessments and program evaluation to measure program outcomes and provide data for grant writing and fundraising goals.
- Administer documentation of assessments and program evaluation.
- Direct maintenance of Farm Discovery contact, program participant database (Salesforce software).
- Collaborate to recruit, train and oversee volunteer performed data entry.
Program Scheduling, Management, Outreach and Communications (15%)
- Work with staff to quickly and efficiently manage fee and donation collection and invoicing.
- Support fundraising efforts, and manage those directly funding programs.
- Administer development and publishing of quarterly newsletter.
- Manage program related web, blog and social media content.
- Represent Farm Discovery at local events, networks and service club meetings.
- Design and manage outreach processes for programs.
Organization Capacity, Development and Administration (15%)
- Co-create and co-manage annual organization and program budgets with Executive Director, Development Officer and Board.
- Act as a friendly ambassador, advocate and asker welcoming the public & upholding the mission of Farm Discovery and Live Earth Farm.
- Assist with fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Farm Discovery team.
- Co-create annual report with Executive Director & Development Officer.
- Commitment to a long term position with room for growth.
- 1-3 years professional experiences or experience in non-profit administration and/or development.
- At least 2 years experience working with youth of all ages, infants through college age.
- At least 1 year of organic farming production including crop planning, greenhouse, irrigation, cultivation, pest and disease control, harvest and post-harvest handling, CSA/market, and cover crop experience.
- Strong facilitation and group management skills, especially in an outdoor education setting.
- Bilingual Spanish speaker.
- Knowledge of and experience with low-income communities and underserved communities of color.
- Passion for building community and deep relationships through food and agriculture.
- Positive, creative, flexible, and takes initiative.
- Ability to work independently, in team setting, and in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Completes tasks successfully and within specified deadlines: demonstrates strong time management skills implementing programs on time and on budget.
- Dependable with thorough follow through.
- Ability to handle multiple programs/projects at once; strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good communication skills: verbal, written, electronic and with a variety of audiences.
- Highly competent in use of computers and necessary technology on a daily basis; additional software experience a plus (salesforce, farm management tools, social media).
- Physically fit to meet the demands of working on farm with youth, experience/ability to dig beds by hand and with a BCS and the ability to lift 50lbs.
- Exemplify tools or strategies for maintaining self-care and personal well being.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends as farm/programs demand.
- Valid California Driver’s license and vehicle for personal travel.
- Cultural identity and lived experience relevant to the youth we serve.
- Rooted in Santa Cruz County, particularly the Pajaro Valley.
- Significant cooking experience—catering experience a plus.
The position will be filled by February 15, 2022. We are most interested in hiring someone willing to make a long term, multi-year commitment. We are looking for someone who wants to grow with our nonprofit over the years.
This is a 40+ hour per week, full time position with paid vacation, sick time, and holidays. Salary $45-55k, commensurate with experience plus a benefits stipend and a Patagonia Pro Membership. In addition, the farm will provide produce, and fresh eggs as available.
*Please fill in the following form: https://forms.gle/BvhsaMAkwfDq4YWT6
the form will require the following two items to be uploaded within it:
- A cover letter that shares the unique skills you bring to the table and includes the date or range of timing you are interested/available to start
- A resume with at least two professional references
We will begin reviewing and accepting candidate material immediately.