Happy Fall! We are transitioning out of the harvest season into our chillier months. The plants and animals are adjusting to the crisp air, and so are our noses. Nothing like a farm fresh meal to provide you warmth and comfort. You will want this Healthy Tuscan Vegetable Soup recipe in your back pocket for these chilly autumn days.
This is one of our staff member’s go to recipes! Thanks Emma!
This recipe is a great way to get a bunch of nutritional benefits from an assortment of vegetables.
Recipe is serves 4- 6 people. Double the recipe for meal prep or sharing with loved ones!
- A few tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large white onion, chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 stalks celery and/or 1 cup celeriac root, chopped
- *Add any type of veg you want. I added an additional 3 leaves of kale, and a several heads of broccoli
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2-4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 (15.5-ounce) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon salt (or as much as you want)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (or as much as you want)
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 4 cups veggie broth (or more)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes (even better if you have your own canned!)
- Green onions chopped for garnish (optional)
- Dipping bread, for serving (Aptos Naturals has a great butternut squash and pumpkin flatbread right now! It paired amazingly with this soup.)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, additional veggies, garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are preferred tenderness. Add the vegetable broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add the beans. Cook until preferred consistency. Take off heat.
- Serve with garnish of choice (green onions or parmesan cheese are a nice touch) Add some dipping bread and enjoy!